Dongara Tourism & Travel
Dongara - Port Denison are twin coastal towns some 359 km north of Perth. Dongara is a vibrant fishing community and the self-proclaimed Lobster Capital of the area. Dongara town offers an interesting lunch break for drivers heading north. Dongara is the centre of a healthy fishing industry with beautiful beaches and historical buildings. The main Morton Terrace streetscape in Dongara is particularly pretty and shaded with ancient Morton Bay Figs. Port Denison is a few km away near the mouth of the Irwin River, overlooking the marina.
Dongara was first surveyed in 1852. Dongara was established as the centre to service the surrounding community of pioneer settlers. Shortly after the jetty at Port Denison was built to handle the produce and cargo from and to the area.The Irwin District museum is housed in Dongaras old Police Station, courthouse and Gaol 1870, the museum features exhibits on the history of the buildings, the invasion of rabbits into WA and the Irwin Coast shipwrecks. In 1894 the Royal Steam Flour Mill was erected and in service until 1935.Fossil Cliff on the banks of the Irwin River, with marine fossils over 250 million years old is in close proximity to Dongara.
The fishing industry thrives and olive growing and a winery have been established in the area. The Dongara Port Denison Live Rock Lobster facility has a holding capacity of 35000 kg of live lobster. The Dongara Street Markets are held on the first Saturday of every month from 10am to 3pm.
The Dongara Town Heritage Trail is a 1.6 km walk that features 28 historic Dongara sites. See Fishermans Lookout: one remaining of two obelisks built in 1869 with panoramic views of Port Denison.Enjoy historic buildings, such as Russ Cottage, a beautifully restored farm workers cottage 1870: The Priory Lodge, an 1881 building has been an inn, a priory and a boarding college for girls and is now once again a hotel and a great place for lunch or a drink. See the church of St John Baptist. Built in Dongara in 1884, its pew was made from the driftwood of shipwrecks and its church bell is said to have come from Fremantle Gaol. Cemetery headstones date from 1874 and a walk there is a walk remembrance to Dominican sisters.