Maryborough Tourism & Travel
Located some three hours drive north of Brisbane, Maryborough is an attractive township on the banks of the Mary River and is the commercial centre of Queensland's Fraser Coast.
Maryborough - Aboriginal History
The traditional owners of the area of Maryborough are the Badtjala Aboriginal people who had lived in the country for millenniums. History tells of freedom fighters of the Badtjala people who, on Good Friday 1897 drove off a party of Maryborough residents from the beach; and the complaints of the holidaymakers that they were being refused access to what had been a favourite watering place for settlers for some twenty years.
Maryborough - History
In 1843 Stephen Simpson, reported the area as suited for settlement with a deep wide creek for vessels and a river of some 200 yards wide. The river and town took its name from Mary Fitzroy, wife of the Governor of Queensland. Wharves and a wool store grew on Wide Bay River by1848 and some 1,100 bales of wool shipped to Sydney in the following season. Maryborough grew into a bustling river port for export of cotton, wool, sugar, and timber. The Gympie gold rush saw some 4,000,000 ounces of gold pass through Maryborough. The creation of the Maryborough-Gympie rail link and ancillary industries such as engineering and shipwrights soon followed and Queensland's first steam engine was built at Maryborough in 1897. Thousands of South Sea Islanders, 'Kanakas', were brought into Queensland via Maryborough and treated little better than slaves in a practice called 'blackbirding'; they were treated little better than slaves until the practice was outlawed in the early 1900's. In 1899, PL Travers Helen Goff was born in Maryborough; where else but Queensland could the author of magical 'Mary Poppins' have been born By the beginning of the 20th century ships from Britain and Europe had brought some 22,000 free settlers had arrived in Australia through Maryborough.
Maryborough - Today
The character of Maryborough has been preserved with colonial Queenslander architecture in abundance in public buildings and beautiful gardens. Brennan and Geraghty's Store is a grocers opened in 1871 and owned by a migrant family for 100 years; the store remains as it was in 1972. Engineering, timber and sugar continue to play a vital role in Maryborough.
Maryborough - Attractions.
See the Museum in the historic Wharf Street Precinct and Customs House Museum. See the replica of Queensland's first steam engine with rides in Queens Park and unusual domed fernery and waterfall; enjoy the extensive rose gardens at Elizabeth Park or Ululah Lagoon at Anzac Park and the statue of Mary Poppins. Take the Heritage Walk, a self-guided walk past 22 historic buildings or theHeritage Drive, which until 1885 highlight the original site Maryborough. Nearby is Teddington Weir, popular for water sports; Tiaro is a town with excellent Mary River fishing and Tuan Forest is great for bushwalking. Fraser Island: the World Heritage Listed largest sand island in the world is to the east of Maryborough.