Albury Tourism & Travel
Sitting alongside the Murray River, on the NSW side is Albury, across the Murray is Victoria and Wodonga. The twin towns are usually referred to as 'Albury-Wodonga'.
Albury - Wodonga - Aboriginal History
Through their cultural traditions, Aboriginal people maintain their connection to their ancestral lands and waters. Wodonga was originally called 'Bungambrewatah', a word meaning 'the crossing place' in the language of the traditional Aboriginal owners of the land, the Wiradjuri people. Over thousands of years, the nomadic Aborigines from the high country celebrated springtime at Mungabareena. Coroborees were held here before travelling north to Mt Beauty and Mt Buffalo to feast on the springtime emergence of bogong moths. Aboriginal freedom fighters resisted as settlers and their foreign livestock displaced their traditional country and destroyed their traditional food sources; they took and killed the settler's livestock for food. A police hut was set up to secure the drovers route to port and to secure settlement of the hinterland.
Albury - Wodonga - History
Settlers took up land in the Albury - Wodonga area in 1835, when Mungabareena Station was set up for Charles Edben; Paul Huon established Wodonga Station in 1837. Originally gazetted as Belvoir in 1852, Wondonga was named in 1874. Albury town grew as drovers and stockmen heading for Port Philip spelled there for a while, and in 1842 with a population of 7 souls, the Hume River Inn was opened. By 1851, 442 souls lived in the area. Albury's growth slowed as gold was discovered in Victoria but Wodonga grew, becoming the river port for the Ovens goldfields. After separation of the states, with Victoria emerging, Albury and Wodonga became custom posts, enforcing tariffs. Smuggling was rife and became quite a sport with taxes different in each state.
Albury - Today
Albury is a country town with friendly locals and many buildings from the nineteenth century; the Courthouse, the post office, the old telegraph office the CML building, with a clock tower rising five stories and curved copper clad roof contrast with buildings from the mid twentieth century and stark modern buildings. Albury has an impressive collection of works by Sir Russell Drysdale, a former resident.
The Botanical Garden has an historical pine tree grown from a seed taken by ANZACs at Lone Pine in Gallipoli and a band stand, built in 1890. See the Paddle Steamer Cumberoona, the 1886 replica offers one-hour tours of the Murray river. Nearby in Noreuil Park is a reproduction Cobb & Co. coach. Monnument Hill rises some 90 m over the city with views to Wodonga to the south and on the horizon the Victorian Alps. Eastern Hill looks north and east with the Snowy Mountains and Hume Dam 16 km away in the distant east.. The historic DC2 aircraft at Albury airport was a gift in the 1030's from Netherland and 12 km north-east of Albury is Ettamogah Wildlife Sanctuary and the famous Ken Maynard comic strip pub - the Ettamogah Pub.