Tullamarine is the location of Melbourne Airport which is located some 25 kms from the Melbourne's CBD. The Tullamarine Freeway is a fast clear run to and from Melbourne that takes some 25 minutes by car.
Tullamarine - Aboriginal History
The traditional owners of the area of Tullamarine are the Wurrundjeri people. The name 'Tullamarine' is believed to be from the name of a young boy from the Wurrundjeri clan, Tullamareena, according to writings attributed to an advisor to Robert Hoddle, the government surveyor in the area.
In 1842, the Tullamarine Parish was subdivided into farm lots but did not sell until 1852. Three schools were open by 1864 and by 1865 Tullamarine had a post office and a hotel, and a population of some 200 souls. A church, tennis and football clubs and a progress association were active in Tullamarine in the 1930 with the main industries being hay production and grazing. In the 1950's the Federal Government announced that it was considering a site north -west of the Tullamarine for a new airport; land acquisition began in the early 1960s; during 1967 - 1970 Tullamarine became divided by the new freeway to the Airport, with Gladstone Park being the east side of the freeway and Tullamarine the west.
Tullamarine - Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine has some 50 speciality shops, including duty free shops for the international traveller. Tullamarine shops and cafes include newsagents, fashion and accessory shops, souvenir and gift shops, health and beauty stores and a specialist technology shop. At Tullamarine, Melbourne Airport services some 20 million passengers annually, with both of Melbourne Airport's international and domestic terminals located under one roof. Ranked as one of the world's top five airports, Melbourne Airport at Tullamarine has won 2 Australian Tourism Awards for General Tourism services; the only Australian airport to have won such an award.