Located in the Greater Hobart area in Tasmania, Bellerive is situated in the locality of Clarence.
Bellerive is best known as the home of the Tasmanian international Cricket Ground, Bellerive Oval, and widely known as one of the prettiest cricket pitches in the world. The area also a popular sailing location and is home to the Bellerive Yacht Club, with the marina located at Bellerive Quay.
The Bellerive Quay and boardwalk location has a village ambience with many historical homes and buildings in the area including some dating back to settlement times, in the early 1800's. The Clarence Hotel, built in 1879 is both the local social centre and a comfortable waiting point for ferry passengers. The old Bellerive Post Office dates from 1897 and now houses both the Sound Preservation Museum and the Genealogical Society of Tasmania. At the point of Kangaroo Bluff is the 19th century British colonial fortress, the Kangaroo Battery that is now a public park. One of the oldest surviving buildings in Bellerive is the original Police Station, built in 1842 from local sandstone, and of the many historical properties in Bellerive, the magnificent is Natone House stands out. It was built in 1863 for Hobart judge Sir Valentine Fleming.
Seven Mile Beach
Meehan Range State Recreation Area
Bellerive was first settled in the 1820's, and at that time known as 'Kangaroo Point', for the large numbers Kangaroos that would be seen on the shore.
Even before this time a ferryman regularly crossed the Derwent, coming ashore in the Bellerive area. Following the first settlers, the area expanded rapidly, with roads soon being developed to the farming districts of Clarence Plains, Coal River and Hollow Tree; by the 1830's the name was changed to Bellerive - meaning 'beautiful river bank' and the village had become the hub of eastern shore contact with Hobart with several boats crossing between Bellerive and Sullivan's Cove daily.